Thursday, November 6, 2008

Music and More Games

So back in Windows days I used iTunes. No more. First I used Rhythmbox. It works, but seems
to have trouble finding decoders for a lot of the mp4 type files. I have switched to Amarok.
Works really VERY nicely, despite rumors that it is a system hog. Of course, I have read in my whole
CD collection (using Soundjuicer) and store everything in .ogg-vorbis format. (.mp3 might be a better
choice because I can't keep ogg on my iPod. I may change at some point.) I completely
avoid all the proprietary iTunes formats. I buy any mp3s I want from Amazon because there is no
copy protection.

Continuing to procrastinate from the work I should be doing -- tonight I tried gravity wars.
It's an oldy but goody. You fly a space ship with arrow keys to collect treasure w/o crashing.
Good fun. It does not seem to have sound -- so you can play it while listening to music.

I also tried Neverball. Don't bother. It is such a processor hog that it does not run. I have a reasonably
modern machine. It's not top of the line. If the game won't run -- heck with it.

All games I've tried so far are just part of the standard Debian etch distro.

No comments: