Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Linux photo printing gqview

I was reading that Linux photo printing is not very mature, but I found that gqview does a fine job.

Teddy had 10 pictures for a photography class, and I wanted to print them two up on photo paper.
Will gqview has a print option. You then select "Print All" and "Print Proof Page". Now proof
page sounds like it is a bunch of small prints, but you can also select the size of the proofs. So if it's
2x2, will it does put a lot of pics on the page, but if you select 4x6, then you get two up.

The only trick is that "Print All" wants to print ALL the pictures in a directory at once, and if it's a lot
it can blow up the print spool (too large). So I organized the pictures into a bunch of subdirectories,
and had gqview just print one subdirectory at a time. For two up, I just put two files in the subdirectory.
It gave me maximum control.

No comments: